Sunday, March 20, 2011

The inspirational man with no name

It's finally there..First day of spring?
The sun and the warmer weather has set up the attitude to be excited what is to come soon. I enjoyed going outside in a hoodie and no heavy winter jacket. I actually got to go for a long walk with my love instead of just being inside or slaving in the gym. It was really nice.
So what is next? Spring cleaning? Plans for barbecues and picknicks? Runs in the parks and basketball games/ How exciting are we all?

On the other side..Don't forget everything else around us. We have all of this..count our blessings. Enjoy it and take advantage of it but don't forget that this is a privilege and we have a great life that we should be thankful for.  My thoughts are still connected to those who need it the most and on a daily basis I try to find ways to reach out to people who really need it. To give an example there is a man that sells newspapers every morning at a stop light in DC, by which my love and I pass by every morning. I think he is there by 5 a.m. which means in the cold weather that we had in the past months he has been standing every morning to sell the Washington Post. We would pass by, nicely warm in our car, trying not to think that soon we have to step out in a cold for a couple of minutes to get to our destination. This man is an older gentleman, who looks to the cars with a hope that one of them will stop and support him in his endeavor. He would be on my mind all day but I would simply forget to take some change to get a paper. Until, he was so much on my mind that I decided to plan ahead and make sure that we have enough change in our car so we can stop by, exchange some friendly words, buy the paper and give him some extra change in case he wants to buy himself a coffee or something to snack on. It has become our routine and the reason why this man makes me think and appreciate my life is the fact that I know that he is as me hardworking. He does not just sit on the side of the street and be He works, he tries and he is changing his destiny. What an inspiration he is. He has a tube in his throat and we hardly understand him when he talks to us but his eyes are lightened when he does and it is such a delight to see him. Last week there were a couple of days that he was not there and we got concerned, on Friday he explained that he had an accident but he still was working because he cannot afford not to. It is a hard life and a hard society we live in, and the only way to survive is to keep pushing. I have so much respect for him and I am happy to be able to see him every morning knowing that my friend will be there and that we are supporting him even if that little might not be a lot. I do not know his name and it might be strange but we never had enough time on the stop light to get into it. I definitely will acquire about it but until then he is the inspiring man with no name.

Do you have people that inspire you? Were you an inspiration for someone else? It is a circle, we give so we can receive...I am so thankful and humble with my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment