Thursday, January 20, 2011

Free Trade Fashion!

As an advocate of change I feel it is my responsibility to educate others about issues that I think are relevant to all of us. I am writing this not because I want to make someone feel bad, but rather to give a perspective and plant a seed in your mind.

I wanted to bring up an issue that we don't really pay attention to.It is the issue of the clothes we wear. Have you ever heard of fair trade? Where are your clothes made? Do you know? Are you aware that most of these clothes are made in sweatshops that provide horrible working conditions to the workers in the Third World? They get very low pay and sometimes they have to work 12-16 hours work shifts without a toilet break. Imagine being in their shoes.

These are just a couple of questions that I wish we all asked ourselves. I hope impact people that much to ask themselves these kinds of questions. Once these questions sink in, we might become much better shoppers. The difference between the clothes that are fair trade and the clothes that are not is in the change we create in the lives of others.

Today, when we are learning how to eat better and what we are eating I think we should ask ourselves what we are wearing and how to wear better. I know this might be a dream of mine, but I have met some amazing people that have been transformed through this experience.

I am guilty as well. I am a Fashionista, Maxinista and a deal stealer. Sometimes, I am more focused on the deal than on the story behind the clothes I am buying. I want to look good, I want a particular clothing item and I want it now. My closet is a testimony to it. I am starting from myself. It is the first step and it is called understanding the circumstances of where my clothes are made from. So, let's be more conscious, and let's do it together. Let's start looking where our clothes are made and question it...


I will dedicate the next few blogs to fair trade, organic clothing and WHAT WE CAN DO to contribute. I hope you all enjoy it and give me feedback.