Thursday, February 3, 2011

Peace and the women of Egypt

My wednesday was dedicated watching the Egypt situation unfold. It was terrifying watching these people fight. These people were neighbors and brothers and sisters in faith only  10 days ago. The fact that the man that was asked to leave the presidency in the "so-called" democracy is not leaving caused this animosity between its people. What makes me mad is that he is sitting somewhere and not reacting. It shows how much he cares and how much he is concerned about the possible development of civil war? The term civil war might be an extreme but is it impossible? The violence that happened yesterday was shocking and disturbing. I hope you felt the same. No person should look away and turn off the TV while keeping up with the latest news in Egypt.


Here is what inspired me. Besides the above mentioned feelings and political talk, besides what exactly does Egypt unrest mean to us (how much will gas go up and how are we going to get our oil)....there is a story of courages women fighting alongside Egyptian man for their freedom. As you have maybe noticed, not many women are seen on the streets. It is out of protection to the family. Women are seen as the center of the family, rightfully so. The women have stayed at home to care for the children and to keep the house in tact (keeping family calm and together, helping each other and trying to put food on the table when there are not many resources). These jobs are very crucial and without these amazing women (grandmothers, mothers, sisters and daughters) this protest would not be as strong and dedicated. It is the support that they give to each other and their male counterparts that is of importance. They have been an important part of organizing the online movement as well as you can read in the below article coming up with tricks to treat tear gas victims with Pepsi to neutralize the pain and effects. KUDOS to the women and the strength that they have to fight so hard and continue to endure in the struggle.

I came across this amazing article in Huffington Post about women who have been going out to the streets to protest. I have seen pictures, with women at the front of the protests facing the Police. These are rare women that go beyond to voice their concerns. The article reports about a woman who is 7 month pregnant and on the streets protesting. She said: " If I wasn't pregnant, I would've just stayed home. I went out because of my baby. I owe this to him."  I say COURAGE! She left me with a proud feeling in my soul and heart and I decided last night that I would like to dedicate this blog for her. I hear her concern and her call for freedom. Do you?


Read full article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/02/egypt-women-protests_n_817822.html


I am so impressed and inspired. The risk of going out and being hurt and in danger is greater than anything. Marwa Rakha went out because she wants a better future for her own unborn child. I give my respect and send my support to them in this effort to avoid more violence but come to a better political solution. As we are watching the Egyptian protest become more violent, I sincerely hope that the situation calms down and the protest can be heard peacefully. If this is a "democracy' it needs to start to act like one. 

Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And something you give away.

By Robert Fulghum

No comments:

Post a Comment